Saturday, October 25, 2014

Along came the wasp.

I went out to observe ant lions, when I felt a buzz go by my left ear. I glanced around to see what it was, a small humble figure caught my eye causing me to look up. There in the top corner of my porch is what appears to be, a nest? Small white pellets resembling tiny cotton balls, filled the holes of the a honeycomb. Wait, what is that flying towards me? I can see it's microscopic veins coursing through it's paper thin wings; a yellow striped body trying to keep up. Black beady eyes, as if you were looking into the soul of death. It had lips of a woman, painted in black. Maybe it didn't like the fact I was spying on it's home. I concentrated on this tiny creature and soon it became clear, it was a wasp. There were several of them flying around my porch. I dialed in on one of them, watching as it went into the nest. The nest was quite active, the wasps moved about with purpose; careful not to invade the other one's space.  I watched as one fell from the nest, as a mother bird would her baby bird.  Seven feet the tiny wasp fell. To my surprise, it was still alive. I quickly grabbed my mom's iPad and documented the last bit of life left in him.

                                                                  "The Fallen Wasp" 
                                                                Field Notes 10/20/14
This is "The Fallen Wasp." I filmed this video, capturing the last little bit of life left in him, watching as he took last breath.

Yellow jacket wasp.
Field Notes 10/20/14
According to "Wasp," yellow jacket wasps are about the size of a small paper clip, from the feet to the tip of their wing. Some yellow jacket wasps can only sting once, then they die. When this happens, the wasp releases a smell called a pheromone. It's a signal to other wasps that it' in trouble and needs help. Wasps are considered to be "omnivorous animals", they graze on sweets such as nectar, fruits, honey, and occasionally caterpillars. Wasps can be found in all parts of the world, except "polar regions." Throughout the world, there are about 75,000 different types of wasps. The typical life span of a wasp is about 12-22 days, that's it.

Humans have life spans that they take for granted. Imagine living for less than a month, knowing that very soon you are going to die. My own thoughts would be overwhelming; how can I die when I haven't even had a chance to live? All of the life I have yet to live will soon be vanished right before my eyes. Would I be too young to remember anything about this life? I can't imagine living 12-22 days, knowing I'm going to die. Wasps must know by their fallen comapnions, that they will soon die, right? Wasps must have thick skin to be able to go about their day with the sound of death ringing in their ears.
                                                                   Field Notes 10/20/14

Field Notes 10/20/14





                     "Wasp." A-Z Animals. Millie Bond. November 2008. Web. 25 Oct. 2014.

3 comments:

  1. These photos remind me of Grace's photos of flies--they make something sort of scary or perceived as ugly look beautiful. I had no idea how lovely the coloring on a wasp is or how short their life span.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really love the way you describe the Wasp you use art to describe it and It's pretty cool

    ReplyDelete
  3. Did you flip it over after it died to take pictures? I wonder if you put the dead wasp in the antnapper hole if it would eat it, or would it be too big?

    ReplyDelete